Friday 12 October 2012

"From the Playing Field to the Mission Field"

October 8 - 12 "From the Playing Field to the Mission Field"

So, week two of the Moody Radio "The Next Step" blog is here! This week was certainly an exciting week on New Day Cafe. Who doesn't get excited about sports, right? Well, this week was about much MUCH more than sports (although we did get to speak with some pretty cool people!) This week we talked with players, coaches, and ministry leaders about how God is using the influential platform of the "playing field" to lead people to Christ and call Christians to a higher standard in their walk with Christ. 

Next Step Devotional Thought

Whether you are a mom taxi-driving your children to practices and games, little league coach, or even just married to a man who LOVES his Monday night football, most everyone interacts with sports at some level. For many, this can leave us a little "burned-out" when it comes to sports. So much so that we lose the true power it has to form the strong character, discipline, and servant leadership we are called to exhibit as followers of Christ. 

Throughout scripture we see God inspiring the writers to use athletic analogies to reveal God's character, and thus the character He desires to see in us. Just take a look at verses such as...:

Hebrews 12:1 - "...let us run with endurance the race that's set before us."

2 Timothy 2:5 - "An athlete is not crowned unless he competes by the rules." 

1 Corinthians 9:26-27 - "So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline by body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified." 

Did you realize that there were so many "sport-isms" in scripture? I sure didn't! You see, whether sports, arts, academics, or career, God desires to reveal His character and His purposes to humanity. Through ALL aspects of our lives, His purpose is to bring glory to His name.

In our modern culture, few people hold more influence than high-profile athletes. We can all name those athletes who have made a statement for Christ (Tim Tebow, Shaun Alexander, Jeremy Lin). Each of these have boldly led countless boys, girls, teens, and colleges athletes to keep their focus on not only their athletic gift, but of the one who gave them that gift! Furthermore, few hold greater influence in the lives of teens and college students than their coaches. Whether these coaches lead their athletes toward Godly character or away, towards humility or pride, or towards service or selfishness determines the future of our nation and the values of a generation.  

Do you remember the famous movie quote from Chariots of Fire where Eric Liddell states, "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure." 

God made YOU for a purpose. But how else did he make you? Maybe you can cook up a storm and provide a hearty meal for a family in need. Maybe you can write notes of encouragement to weary pastors, missionaries, and ministry leaders. Or maybe you can teach a child in the ways of scripture, transforming the future of our nation. What makes your heart flutter and blood race with the excitement of a 15 year old boy before his first football game? That's your playing field, and God wants to use it as a mission field. 

God has given you a "playing field." That playing field invites you to exercise those passions, callings, and gifts to the glory of Christ. So, as Martin always says, "why don't you get off the sidelines and back in the game!" 

Interview Recaps

If you missed out of part of the New Day Cafe morning show this week, I encourage you to go to New Day Cafe and check out the audio (will be up within two weeks!). In the mean time, here is a recap of our interviews for the week along with links to find out more information covered in the interview. 



Key Scriptures

2 Corinthians 5:18  "And all of this is a gift from God, who brought us back to himself through Christ. And God has given us the ministry of reconciling people to Him."

Hebrews 12:1  "Therefore since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us." 

Luke 12:48b "When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required." (UA Gymnastics Theme Verse)

Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all of your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."

1 Timothy 6:11-12 "But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses."

My Next Step

For those of you who have met me in person, you might not imagine that I am particularly athletic....or even slightly athletic! BUT you might be surprised to learn that I played softball, 2nd Base and Back-up Pitcher, for 8 years (nevermind the fact that I still get slightly nervous whenever a ball heads my direction ha ha). I also danced for 15 years, sacrificing more time, energy, and money than anyone ever should pursuing my passion. Now I know what you are thinking..."dancing is not a sport!" For those of you thinking that, I'll challenge you to a 4 hour cardio dance practice anytime :)

Now why do I share that with you? I share it because as I reflect back on the discipline, perseverance, and sacrifice that I learned through the hours and hours of practice, workouts, and travelling, I see so clearly how God was training me not only physically, but also spiritually. Every day that I stepped into the practice room was a day I was reminded of the incredible discipline and sacrifice my Lord Jesus made for me by coming to earth and dying on the cross...... 

When your mind is fixed on Jesus in that way, Phil 4:13 ("I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength) comes to light in a way unlike ever before. If Jesus had the strength to give up his throne in heaven, come to a world of pain and turmoil (without running water I might add), be rejected by his family, be beaten, stripped naked, and nailed to a piece of carved wood...if he cold endure that for my sake, then I can endure the comparably trivial trials that come my way. 

Through the years, I danced beside countless girls. Sadly, I cannot honestly tell you that I knew for sure whether each of them knew Christ or not. My mind was often focused on how I looked, what boy I could impress, or outshining my teammates. I missed my mission field for years, not that I did not live out my faith or talk with others about Christ occasionally, but definitely not with the urgency and understanding that God put me on those dance teams for HIS glory, not mine. 

Friends, don't miss your mission field. When you run/dance/teach/paint/play for Jesus, I promise that you will feel His pleasure...

Stepping Together

We have seen some page traffic on the blog, which is awesome! Now I want to challenge you to challenge me! Leave me a comment, question, or a testimony of how God has turned your playing field in to the mission field. You can even leave me a complaint! (I hope I don't regret that!) We love our listeners at Moody Radio South and want to "take the next step" in our walk with Jesus Christ with you!

Blessings,

Melissa Rogers
Moody Radio South

No comments:

Post a Comment